ECO & ZEN
Green Philosophy at Zazen Resort Samui
At Zazen, we are committed to reduce the impact from our community on the environment. Our aim is to provide the best hospitality service possible to our guest by keeping in mind the "Three R's" Philosophy": Reducing, Reusing and Recycling. Zazen is a fully non-smoking establishment and one of the few "Green Gold Awarded Hotels" in Samui, based on Certification Standards established by Thailand's Department of Environmental Quality Promotion.
The Green Island Project Koh Samui, Thailand
Launched on June 18, 2007, The Green Island Project is an umbrella organization to network and encourage an environmentally aware mindset on Koh Samui. They understand that we as humans affect the environment, but they believe this does not have to be destructive. It can be done in a balanced way, to preserve and even enhance the natural world around us. They encourage everyone to participate - individuals, businesses, local organizations, government, the TAT, NGOs and even tourists to create awareness and work together, without judgment or prejudice. They encourage everyone on the island to make a contribution to reduce, recycle, reuse and become more aware of what a green jewel Samui still is.
LEAVE ONLY FOOTPRINTS BEHIND
Zazen Boutique Resort & Spa is committed to protecting our environment and preserving our precious natural resources. By going "green", we have made a promise to promote a lifestyle that ensures our environmental impact on the world around us is minimal and as positive as possible.
We have integrated various methods of green living into our daily lives and encourage our guests and team members to do the same. We reduce, reuse and recycle. We compost. We continue to search for the most environmentally friendly alternatives in production and clean our guest rooms with the most ecologically – responsible products on the market. We support our neighbors and local merchants and do our best to promote the good work they are doing throughout the community. By blending upscale tranquility with affordable luxury and low impact living practices, we offer our guests a touch of truly holistic hospitality.
A greener workplace:
Make where we work more sustainable
- Minimize office waste by the reduction, reuse and recycling of materials.
- Collect paper and toner cartridges for recycling.
- Use double-sided copying where possible.
- Re-use envelopes.
- Re-use paper for scrap pads and draft documents and avoid the use of fax header sheets.
- Control the level of junk mail we receive by returning unwanted items to sender.
- Buy recycled paper and remanufactured toner cartridges and other recycled office supplies – there is a sustainable option for nearly every item.
- Repair and refurbish furniture and equipment rather than always buying new.
- Use eco-friendly cleaning materials.
- Fit low energy light bulbs and switch off lights in rooms not in use.
- Don't leave computers and machinery on overnight.
- Promote the use of public transport and motorbike-share schemes for work colleagues.
- Change split shift to plain shift reducing the motorbike use.
- Ensure efficient journey planning for deliveries and collection and use fuel efficient and low emission vehicles. Use of the electrical golf cart for the short distance.
- Water broom & dry sweep to clean concrete and asphalt
- Linen and towel reuse program
- Low flow toilets (1.3gpf) and water saving faucet aerators (1.75gpf)
- Sprinklers adjusted according to season
- Native plants
- No aerosol spray cans or toxic cleaning chemicals used
- Non-Toxic Housekeeping Practices
- Compost all organic waste currently recycling over 60% of our waste output
- Office bulletin board, dry erase white boards, staff in-house email and voicemail communication
- eliminating unnecessary paper printed reports
- 100% recycled bath tissues, napkins, copy paper etc.
- Reuse packaging for shipping
- Employee use policy for room service/ catered leftovers
- Glass cups in ALL guestrooms, mugs for all staff members - no disposable utensils or tableware – No Styrofoam!
Staff and Guest Awareness:
- Conservation signs in all guestrooms promoting linen reuse program
- Green Information page in guestroom compendium
- Green Agreement in Employee Handbook, new staff member training
- All new brochures, flyers, compendiums, business cards, menus etc are printed on 100% recycled papers
- Green Team leader to manage, support and implement all sustainable practices and programs
- Active supporter of local non-profits and charitable organizations
Please note that this is a working document and changes and improvements to the documents will be added as we strive to gain more experience and parties involved.